i don't think many of us wake up each morning thinking “today might be the day I die” or think that “this might be the last time I tell them I love them” or “this could be the last sunrise/sunset/thunderstorm/meal/time with friends I have”. I know I don't think that way. But maybe I should. Not to depress myself or others, but to help me live more “on purpose”. Today my parent's lost one of their best friends. Today our family lost one so near and dear to us. This morning was the final morning that C. Fred Mangin woke up next to his wife of 40+ years. Breakfast this morning was the last breakfast he ate. And this afternoon, as he mowed his lawn for the last time at his brand new home, designed for he and Kathy to enjoy their family in retirement, he had a massive heart attack. and he was gone.
my heart is broken...for Kathy, for their kids and grandkids, for Fred's mom who is still alive and who will now bury her baby boy. For my parents as they suddenly have to grieve one of their best friends being so suddenly taken from them. For their not having been able to say goodbye...for their not being able to tell him once more just how much they loved him.
and so it gives me a new passion to live “on purpose”. To tell people I love them. To enjoy all that the Lord has given in the form of earthly blessings and in appreciation of His creation. To utilize my time here for things that matter. To be a better steward of the resources that have been given me to make an eternal impact. To challenge others to live for more than themselves and to recognize just how finite we, as humans, are. To tell people about Jesus and how, in Him, death has no sting.
Fred was a great man. One of the most animated and amiable guys I knew. Gregarious and generous. Willing and eager to talk to anyone and everyone; incredible at making all feel welcome. Always giving of himself to see others succeed. Humorous. A great giver of hugs. The quintessential grandpa. Successful, a man with influence within his community. A loving husband. A loving father. A wonderful friend.
I miss him already. It won't be the same to go home and look out the window to his and Kathy's home and know he won't be knocking on the door to bring me an armload of bananas from his backyard. I'll miss going to see him and Kathy before even going inside to see my folks. I'll miss him teasing my dad. I'll miss having him at the dinner table so often. I'll miss the stories of him surprising his granddaughters with birthday trips for ice cream in limos. I'll miss his loud, infectious laugh. I'll miss his eagerness to support the work going on in Honduras. I'm sad I never got to show him the book displaying all he and Kathy helped to happen. I miss our dear C -Fred, our “old fred”.
Just as swiftly as life begins, life ends. We are from dust and will return to dust. And yet our souls are immortal...our souls will go on forever either in the presence of God (heaven) or in eternal separation from Him (Hell). How blessed we are that God created a way, through Jesus Christ, for us to have that fellowship with Him. I'd love to share with anyone interested more about this free gift...sometimes it takes losing a loved one to make us question what life is all about and what happens after we draw our last breath.
I love you, Fred, and miss you dearly! I hope you knew just how loved and appreciated you were...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment