As I was checking out at the grocery this afternoon a woman in her early-thirties noticed my Darfur shirt. Moments earlier her husband saw it and commented, "Nice shirt - I appreciate the message." This woman, after lecturing me for making a purchase with aspartame in it, says "So you're an animal activist?". I responded, "Excuse me?". She goes on to say, "Your shirt - save da fur - you must be an animal activist." I was amazed at how ignorant to the situation she was - though thankful that she wasn't alluding to those being murdered in Darfur as animals. I explained the situation briefly and then she matter-of-factly states "Oh, I remember where Darfur is - it's in South America, right?". When I shared the location of Sudan she just said "oh". Our conversation was cut off shortly thereafter as her husband finished paying for the groceries.
At first i was astounded and somewhat disgusted at her naivety relating to the genocide that is occurring - but then I realized just how often I could come across the same way in relation to other atrocities happening throughout this world. There are so many things going on that Jesus cares about - and about which I, often by choice, remain ignorant.
I have been called to reach this world as an ambassador for Christ. In order to reach these people, I must love them. And in order to love them, I must learn their stories.
I pray that you open my ears, Lord, that I might hear the cries of the lonely, the sick, the hurting, and the oppressed. Open my eyes, Lord, that I might see the hurting faces and not turn from them. Open my eyes that I would see your children as you see them - ready to be redeemed. Take my feet, Lord, and have them go where you want them - ready even to run to those in need. Help them go willingly and eagerly. Take my hands, Lord, and use them to show your love to this world - allow them to touch the untouchable, hug the unhugable, and heal the sick. Most importantly, Lord, take my heart and mold it evermore like yours - help me to feel, to love, to mourn, to care.
Lord, rid me of this ignorant heart.
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners; to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn..." Isaiah 61:1-2
At first i was astounded and somewhat disgusted at her naivety relating to the genocide that is occurring - but then I realized just how often I could come across the same way in relation to other atrocities happening throughout this world. There are so many things going on that Jesus cares about - and about which I, often by choice, remain ignorant.
I have been called to reach this world as an ambassador for Christ. In order to reach these people, I must love them. And in order to love them, I must learn their stories.
I pray that you open my ears, Lord, that I might hear the cries of the lonely, the sick, the hurting, and the oppressed. Open my eyes, Lord, that I might see the hurting faces and not turn from them. Open my eyes that I would see your children as you see them - ready to be redeemed. Take my feet, Lord, and have them go where you want them - ready even to run to those in need. Help them go willingly and eagerly. Take my hands, Lord, and use them to show your love to this world - allow them to touch the untouchable, hug the unhugable, and heal the sick. Most importantly, Lord, take my heart and mold it evermore like yours - help me to feel, to love, to mourn, to care.
Lord, rid me of this ignorant heart.
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners; to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn..." Isaiah 61:1-2
No comments:
Post a Comment